Bridges go round (Shirley Clarke, 1958)


                 I absolutely loved this film. I watched plenty other of classic experimental / Avant-garde films and still this is one is by far my favorite. You could really tell what Shirley Clarke wanted to emphasize in the film. Brides and a body of water were the main star. Everything was very aesthetically pleasing and this film followed no rules.     

                This film was so beautiful to me because it took two very basic things we see almost everyday and created something very different and artistic. The music in the film also plays a big part in the mood and tone of the film. I watched 3 different versions, all had the same video playing but different music and instruments equaling a different tone for each. One had a soft tone with instruments such as violins, one was very futuristic with instruments unknown to me, and one was very eerie using instruments such as "The Apprehension Engine" which is used in many scary movies.

                In this film, you could tell Shirley solely relied on the overlay effect ( merging one film on top of another) and the play of colors. Something else I loved was the "old vintage" look the film had. Now since the film was made in the 1958's, the effect probably just came with the camera used. But I believe there is a slight chance that it was done on purpose. Either way, I loved it.

Comments

Popular Posts